Tuesday, June 3, 2014

"Get it, you deserve it."

Ok, a couple roundabout thoughts leading to one....bear with me.  (Also, did you know that's how to spell bear - as in 'to carry with'?  Spelling blows my mind sometimes.

Part 1: I've been teaching youth theatre/dance classes for about 10 years now.  I always joke that I don't teach anyone under the age of 10 because I don't understand how to communicate with them.  That I don't understand why I have to give you a sticker just because you stood where I told you to.  That's not earning anything.  That's called following direction.

Part 2:  I knew I would have a few months of unemployment at the end of the school year before I would jump into 7 weeks of teaching.  Apparently graduate students get out of school 2 months before public k-12's do....and I can't teach without students....so SURVIVAL JOB it is.  I decided to venture into the world of retail as there was a store within 10 minutes of my house and I didn't want to deal with an unpredictable server schedule.  In any case, I was working check-out at 'the store' and there was a college student buying a very expensive, fancy pants, purse.  It's not a brand I think is super attractive, but alas, it seemed very important to her to have this bag.  As she sat in debate about buying this bag, her friend chimed in with, "Get it.  You deserve it."  (Sidenote: said friend had a coordinating, very expensive, fancy pants purse.)  "Get it.  You deserve it."  The customer in conflict quickly agreed and swiped what appeared to be a parental credit card and started devising a plan with how to explain the purchase.

There was something about this transaction that made me think... Did she earn this bag? Had she done something of worth in some way?  Or was this like a kindergarten dance class where she got a sticker for standing still?

Then I thought...did I have this same conversation with myself last week?  Duh, Duh, Duuuunnnnn...

Part 3: I have had my eye on a particular bag (not nearly as fancy pants as the purchase tonight, but still fancy enough for the budget I'm on) for about a month, as I cleaned and organized around it at the store.  I knew there was an extra incentive coming up for 20% off purchases for employees and I made the deal with myself that if I hit the fitness goal that I had been working towards for the last few months by 5/30, that I could purchase the bag since I had the saved cash to do so.  Well, it so happened that I hit my goal (YAY)  and was excited about the reward of my new bag.  "I had earned it."  But thinking back on it after tonight's conversation with these two young ladies...Did I really earn it?  Or had I talked my way into it?  I still feel like I did accomplish a goal which tells me that I did work for it more than simply being alive, but I'm so stumped by the way, as consumers, that we can talk ourselves into a purchase. Why is it that we can't simply admit, "I WANT this and I'm going to make this purchase?"  I wanted the bag.  The customer wanted the bag.  But did we really DESERVE it or are we adults who still need a sticker every once in a while?

I'm wondering if anyone else has an answer to my quandary.  Let me know.

Also, I still really like my bag.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment